Sunday, April 5, 2009

Raisix Kirunch

About 2 months ago I started eating cereal before work. Prior to this morning routine, I would go straight to work (~4:35 a.m.) and eat some yogurt and toast with peanut butter (we've got a toaster in the break room, no big deal.) Now I enjoy a hearty bowl every morning and depart at approximately 4:45 a.m. in a much better mood than the previous phase of my cereal-less existence.

Just eating cereal doesn't make my practice enjoyable, but the transition from one box to the next is what I really get excited about. Now, let me explain, I love sugary cereals just as much as the next guy (although I'm not a fan of chocolaty varieties, and therefore they never make my rotation), but I also understand that the whole grain/healthier kinds are necessary for my teeth and waistline to remain within reason. Therefore, I maintain a box-by-box rule that consists of sugury/non-sugar/yummy/eh/contains red-4/Oat Boats.

Now each of us has experienced the half-bowl situation when the box empties, leaving only enough a kindergartner might find satisfying. This brings a conundrum which I usually plan for the previous Sunday at Hy-Vee as I stand in aisle 6 encountered with a host of options to create my own Cereal Transition Creation! For example, just when my (generic) Cinnamon Toast Crunch drops only cinnamon and sugar in the bowl, I've got a box of (generic) Crispix waiting in the wings to accompany the swirled squares for Crispinnamon Crunch. Second, when the (generic) Corn Flakes supply runs thin, I'll combine them with a fresh box of Fruity Pebbles (obviously, generic), however there is an adjustment that must be made: for proper mixing purposes, the floating Pebbles must be poured first with the left-over Flakes dusting the top of this mound of Fruity Flakes. If reversed, the flakes would sink and the pebbles would float, wrecking the entire purpose of the exercise.

Finally, I would like to share my best creation to date. A while ago, Kix were on sale and I was able to purchase the small box at a reasonable expense (unbeknownst to me it was so pricey). The previous week I had been enjoying Hy-Vee's version of Raisin Bran Crunch, and when I combined these two lightly-sugared (sometimes I break the mold, sue me) it was one of the greatest cereal experiences I have had in a long, long time.

* Today, I purchased a box of Wheaties to accompany the leftover generic Honey Comb. I'm worried about this one, but could be pleasantly surprised if the ratio of Honey Comb to Wheaties is high. I'm thinking: Wheatey Comb

1 comment:

dn said...

I am against this. One bowl, one cereal, the way God and General Mills intended.