Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lil' O'Saturday Night

As many of you know, I do not have cable television, no Dish, no DirectTV, nothing but network channels. NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, Fox, Ion (which I caught Risky Business a couple weeks ago). Therefore, pickin's are slim around Gav's household sometimes. But then there is Saturday night...

Now for a controversial statement: I think Saturday Night Live is just as good now as it was in the 90s, the 80s, and yes, even the 70s. When taking a look at the entire season as a whole, week-over-week, there were just as many 'Stinker's' (skits) as there are in the new millenium. You must remember, that comedy is cyclical. Conan O'Brien is not Jay Leno, who is not David Letterman, who is not Johnny Carson.

That being said, on Saturday nights I enjoy watching the first hour of SNL, but at 11:30* I change the channel to one of my favorite television shows: Talkshow with Spike Feresten.

I introduced Spike to my brother-in-law this weekend (after knocking down a bottle of Evan Williams), where Spike came through strong with this clip:



The show is great. Spike is a former writer for David Letterman and also wrote for 'Seinfeld'. If anybody who reads this blog is at home on a Saturday night, try and stick out the first hour of SNL and switch the channel to your local Fox affiliate to catch Talkshow on Saturday nights.

*the show may be on at 12/11c in your area

No comments: