Thursday, October 23, 2008

M.A.F.antastic!

*I bought a new camera a few weeks ago. This was a good way for me to learn some of its features, including .avi movies. We'll all suffer together, OK?

As stated in the video, I know next to nothing about cars. Approximately 9 months ago, the autoshop near my office said the Mass Air Flow Sensor was relatively easy to replace but did not have to be done immediately. That autoshop quoted me ~$485 for the part and ~$100 for labor to replace the M.A.F. Sensor. After researching on the internet, an associate at the auto parts store near my house concurred that replacing the part was a breeze. I bought the sensor, and following the return of my faulty piece this afternoon, the part I bought at Advance Autoparts cost $185.

The entire process took 2:30 and my knees were exhausted from being locked in place as I worked under the hood. The most frustrating part was not having a good light to see what I was doing all the time. The flashlight was OK, but not even close to being the most efficient, however, I did get somewhat lucky because not having a metric socket-set would have been detrimental.

All-in-all, the experience was good. I saved a few hundred dollars, learned a little about cars, and most importantly faced a situation that made me uncomfortable and succeeded. Accomplishment is an unequivical feeling of completion, knowledge, contentment, and pride. In my subjective opinion, every day a person is given opportunities, taking those opportunities and turning them into accomplishments is a way to gauge success in life. I like that.

1 comment:

dn said...

Kim and I watched this whole thing. For some reason.

When I read it, I assumed it took you 2.5 minutes instead of 2.5 hours. Looks like I give somebody too much credit.